Contrast Lilou

Lilou dress contrast lining There is a project queue forming in my sewing room this month. I have so many plans for sewing projects waiting for me to find time to sew them up. As you may know, one of these is my vintage pledge pattern. The contrast Lilou idea was conceived as an ‘in the mean-time’ project, while waiting for the vintage pledge pattern’s fabric to arrive. I thought it would be a quick make, as I had already used this pattern before here.  Alas, I decided to try a different size, with different modifications and due to the see-through nature of the mint green polka dot fabric, decided to line the entire dress in a contrasting red lining material. Needless to say, this project became far more labour intensive than originally anticipated and therefore put the vintage pledge project on hold. Whoops.

Oh well. In short, I am really happy with how this project turned out. I like the style of the dress, it has a vintage, sort of ballerina feel to it in this fabric. There are still some issues with fit. I made it a size smaller than my last attempt, and increased the bodice length by 2 inches. Mostly the fit is good, but it is slightly tight under my armpits. The size up from this was far too big in the bodice before I altered it, so I think for my next attempt I will stick with the smaller size, but try and do a full bust adjustment. I am really starting to appreciate the art of fitting. I have a lot to learn.

Polka dot Lilou dressLilou dress

I followed Tilly’s excellent instructions again for construction and was really chuffed by how much easier I found the process second time around. My sewing skills have definitely improved since my first Lilou. I used my new Bernina overlocker to finish some of the seams and it was so exciting to try it out on a project and see what it can do.

Finally, a little off topic, but thought I would share a picture with you of the newest addition to the croft this week. Our first Lamb of the season. Happy Sunday everyone.

Shetland Lamb

Pattern: Lilou Dress- Love at First Stitch by Tilly and the Buttons

Fabric- Mint Spot Cotton Lawn from Backstitch

Beginning my sewing journey

1.2 Hi, my name is Elie. I live on a small island in Shetland. I am starting this blog to document my progress as I learn to sew my own clothing. My love of sewing began, aptly, when I bought ‘Love at First Stitch’, the excellent book by Tilly and the Buttons a few months ago. I worked my way through the book, making each of the patterns in turn, until I came to my favourite pattern, which I will be writing about today. This is my attempt at the ‘Lilou’ dress. The fabric is 100% cotton and was from modes4u. It is, by no means, perfect, but I am really proud of this dress. Despite being quite a challenging make for a beginner, the excellent instructions provided in the book helped me through. I don’t have much to say about construction, as mostly, I followed the instructions to the letter. I did have a bit of trouble with the invisible zip insertion, think I need more practice on that front and I caused myself a bit of a headache with the fit, as I tried to grade between sizes in the bodice. My thinking behind this was to give a looser fit in the bust, but the end result was just too big. As a novice sewer, with no fitting or altering experience, I decided to rectify this by cutting some length out of the straps, to try and reduce the excess length in the bodice.  It worked to some degree, but there is still excess fabric in the back. Next time I will skip the grading entirely. I think the fit would have been better if I had stuck to one size. Despite the fitting issues, I am really pleased with the end result. I think, as this was one of the first things I made, I will always have a soft spot for it, flaws and all. 1.3 Follow my blog with Bloglovin © [], [2015]. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to [] with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.